Accessibility Statement and Environment Policy
At Sharrow Bay, we treat our guests as individuals; we have a range of facilities catering for people of all abilities, above 12 years of age.
Making the Reservation
- Enquiries and reservations may be made by telephone, fax or email.
- Should you wish to take a taxi from Penrith Train Station, this is a 20 minute drive.
- Newcastle Airport is approximately 1 hour 30 minutes away.
- We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your requirements pre-arrival.
- Directions to the hotel can be found on our website under the Contact Us section or we can post, fax or email them.
- Car Park is mostly on a level ground a short distance from the main door.
- The car park is laid to tarmac.
- Drop-off point at the front door by the front door. Porter assistance for both cars and luggage
- Reception is all on one level
Inside the Hotel
- Access to the Restaurant and ground floor public rooms is on a flat surface, fully carpeted
- Staff trained in disability awareness
- Assistance dogs only in the Main House areas, and pet dogs in designated areas
- We do not have a lift at the hotel
- Toilet facilities have restricted access for wheelchair users.
- Allergy-free pillows and duvets available
- Full waiter service provided at breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Please let us know in advance if you have any special dietary needs
- Menus also available in large print on request
- There is ample moveable seating and there are chairs without arms, or banquette-style seats
- Restaurant tables are laid with white linen
- The restaurant area is well lit, with lots of natural daylight during daytime hours
- Our gardens can be accessed via a slope at the side of the hotel.
- In the event of evacuation the bells will ring continuously. If you require assistance for evacuating please notify us on arrival.
Corporate Social Responsibility Policy
Sharrow Bay values its people, guests and the environment equally and is committed to continuous improvement in its approach to Corporate Social Responsibility. All employees are encouraged to follow the principles of the policy to assist the hotel in meeting its CSR objectives.
Sharrow Bay aims to continuously improve our green activity through the following steps:
- Up-keeping good general maintenance of the hotel building.
- Maintain a level of no litter and an excellent visual impression at all times.
- Remaining a no smoking property.
Management and Marketing:
- Continue to increase staff environmental awareness, creating a green culture.
- Try and obtain Green Tourism Award
- Support both local and international social responsibility projects and remain active in the community.
- Offer a range of family focused green activities and ensure we remain an accessible business.
Energy and Water:
- We are constantly striving to reduce the hotel's carbon footprint by monitoring energy use.
- We are decreasing our energy requirements by better design of refurbished areas and installation of energy efficient equipment wherever possible (for example to save electricity we have installed timer switches in key staff areas).
- Low energy lighting and individual heating controls in the rooms.
- We always operate green laundry practices where possible.
- Every effort is made to ensure noise and light emissions to surrounding neighbourhood are minimised
- We actively encourage guests to re-use their towels if they are staying for a few days.
- We are committed to responsibly sourced food products and ingredients, following seasonal trends and reducing food miles by sourcing from the local area whenever possible. We source quality ingredients from artisan suppliers within the area, with bread and meat (and most vegetables and cheeses) originating within a few miles of the hotel.
- We encourage all departments to use local suppliers and contractors, where possible to actively support the local community and reduce delivery and travelling mileage.
- We purchase fair-trade and ethical products where possible and use eco-friendly cleaning products when available.
- We recycle all waste paper, glass, cardboard and plastic bags.
- Waste food and used kitchen oil is collected, composted and recycled.
- We implement sound gardening practices and composting.
- Any hazardous waste substances are minimized and effectively disposed of.
For further information on our green initiatives please contact the hotel directly on 01768 486301.